Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: securing password list

From: "Fahr, Sam@HHSDC-SFIS" <Sam.Fahr () sid hhsdc ca gov>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:35:38 -0800

A really excellent point, Jeremy.  In a previous job I had to assist in data
recovery from a "fireproof" cabinet.  The cabinet may have been flame-proof,
but was definitely not fireproof.  In fact, (bear in mind this was in the
80's) the backup data was stored on 10 & 1/2" tape.  When we laid the leader
of the first tape out on a table it had a 6 degree arc.  The tape spindle
itself was severely distorted.  On some sections of tape the iron oxide
separated from the Mylar backing.  All in all, a terrific mess.  The fire
started in the building floor below the room where the cabinet was located.
BTW: we were able to recover 98% of the data and performed the work for no
charge to our customer.

Thanks!
Samuel S. Fahr
Statewide Fingerprint Imaging System