Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Caching a sniffer

From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:26:49 -0300

At 08:58 24/03/2004 -0800, David Gillett wrote:

  I presume that some switches, faced with something like macoff, will
overflow the table such that legitimate addresses that should have been
learned start flooding to all ports as well.
  But this is not the only possible reaction of a switched network to
macoff!  If Cisco's port security is enabled, the switch may just shut
down the port running macoff.

How does it detect this? By realizing that frames from a given port come from several different MAC source addresses?

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () acm org

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html