Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Caching a sniffer

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:50:38 -0800

  Not really.  I'm a switch, and I've just seen a new source MAC
address, which I want to insert into my table.  Uh-oh, the
table is full.  Instead of just failing to learn the new
address, I'll
"age out" the oldest address in the table prematurely to make
space for the new one.  (If I track their ages so I can age them
out normally, finding the oldest one shouldn't be any problem.)
  I didn't "detect the flood" or alter the normal aging time.
 I just discarded some old information instead of discarding
the new information just received.  (In essence, this means
treating the MAC table like a FIFO cache.)

I looked through some old docs on Cisco switches. To my knowledge the
switches will automatically adjust the learning rate of the CAM table in
much the same fashion your describing, but it doesn't really mitigate
the effects of a MAC Address flood. Cisco called this attack "Forwarding
Table Exhaustion", or at least that is what was in my notes.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107
Reno NV 89521

www.horizonusa.com
Email: sjackson () horizonusa com
Phone: (775) 858-2338
       (800) 325-1199 x338

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html