Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Workstation Screensaver Lock Timeouts

From: <saliskor () cyberus ca>
Date: 29 Mar 2004 17:12:28 -0000

My thanks to all who have sent replies to my questions.....

All of the replies which actually stated a time period said the same thing, 15 minutes seems to be the norm for those
that require such a lockup... We tried 15 minutes and the user response was phenominal.... all bad of course.. we've
since changed it to 30 minutes and still the complaints come in.

It's true that many (maybe not most any more) threats come from within the internal systems. An ongoing problem we have
is with users taking advantage of logged in, unlocked computers, to send entertaining email messages to the
organization on behalf of the logged on user..

Any further thoughts are appreciated...

Rick

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html