Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: NTLMv2 on RAS

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:59:46 -0400

You are talking about two different types of authentication protocols.
There are several types of Windows authentication protocols:

User-Kerberos, NTLMv2, NTLM, LM
Machine-certificates, SSL, and others
IIS-Anonymous, Digest Authentication, Windows Integrated, Passport
Remote-MSCHAP, EAP, EAP-TLS, CHAP, PAP, etc.

You are configuring the user authentication protocols, which will have
no effect on the remote authentication protocols.

It's like using PC Anywhere over the Internet.  Your initial connection
to the PC Anywhere host is like the remote authentication.  Once you
sign into PC Anywhere, you still have to hit (I'm hoping you have it
configured this way) Ctl-Alt-Del to access Windows.  That's the user
authentication portion.  When you are using RRAS, there are remote and
user authentication protocols to consider, but they are independend of
each other.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Computer Security Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (NT/2000/2003/MVP), CNE (3/4), A+
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by
O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode
*Author of upcoming Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
****