Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Ping Tool

From: "Amin Tora" <atora () EPLUS com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:41:08 -0400

Nmap may !seem! slow due to three things:

        1. you are trying to resolve reverse dns
        2. you are using a slow scan method
        3. the system you are using is SLOW

* You can turn off dns resolution via the  -n  option

* You can scan at different speeds using the  -T  option going from SLOW
to FAST {Paranoid|Sneaky|Polite|Normal|Aggressive|Insane}

To scan at the fastest speed possible, your command would like so:

nmap -sP -T Insane -n x.x.x.x/8

Amin Tora, CISSP, CHSP
Security Consultant
ePlus Technology Inc.
13595 Dulles Technology Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
office: 703-793-1330
cell: 703-675-0738
web: http://www.eplustechnology.com
email: atora-at-eplus.com

**NOTICE**
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION AND ANY
ATTACHMENTS HERETO IS CONSIDERED PROPRIETARY AND CONFIDENTIAL.
DISTRIBUTION OF THIS MATERIAL TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ADDRESSED IS
PROHIBITED. ANY DISCLOSURE, COPYING, DISTRIBUTION OR USE OF THE CONTENTS
OF THIS TRANSMISSION OR ANY ATTACHMENTS HERETO FOR ANY REASON OTHER THAN
THEIR INTENDED PURPOSE IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS
TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER.