Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: scanning NATed network question

From: "Amin Tora" <atora () EPLUS com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:47:11 -0400

The only analysis I've seen so far is using cronos for OS fingerprinting
based on syn/ack responses from target during a syn scan - where the
time interval for each syn/ack response from the target is used to
identify the OS.

 Syn->

        <-- syn/ack
        <-- syn/ack
        <-- syn/ack
        <-- syn/ack
        <-- syn/ack...etc.

And this is only possible when the firewall allows the initial syn to
the internal host....

Amin Tora, CISSP, CHSP
Security Consultant
ePlus Technology Inc.
13595 Dulles Technology Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
office: 703-793-1330
cell: 703-675-0738
web: http://www.eplustechnology.com
email: atora-at-eplus.com

**NOTICE**
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION AND ANY
ATTACHMENTS HERETO IS CONSIDERED PROPRIETARY AND CONFIDENTIAL.
DISTRIBUTION OF THIS MATERIAL TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ADDRESSED IS
PROHIBITED. ANY DISCLOSURE, COPYING, DISTRIBUTION OR USE OF THE CONTENTS
OF THIS TRANSMISSION OR ANY ATTACHMENTS HERETO FOR ANY REASON OTHER THAN
THEIR INTENDED PURPOSE IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS
TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER.