Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless LAN Security for Warehouse

From: Guillaume Lavoix <glavoix () altadis com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 18:23:54 +0200

Hello Jennifer,

Symbol is a good brand as many others like cisco, 3com etc...
But if you choose a brand you should be aware that any device of
Whatever brand has to be checked for security as it's very common
To find bug or vulnerabilities on any vendor's hardware.

For instance if I just type in google

Symbol wireless vulnerability
Or
Symbol wireless vulnerabilities

You can find some related vulnerabilities in Symbols products, some have
been corrected
And are not considered by vendors like an AP-4121 with snmp access enabled
which
Allows you to : www.wardriving.com/novnews02.php (this is an old example but
looking a bit more you'll probably find other examples).

What I want to say by that, is that it is not necessaraly the brand that you
have to focus
On to make sure that you'll get a good level of security, but rather on you
and the way you'll
Implement,configure  and secure it. Fixing such problems (default settings)
left by the vendor and updating the firmware is also a good thing when it
fixes security holes etc...

I hope this little comment will help you make your decision.
Sincerely,

Guilaume