Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Defense in Depth

From: "Naren" <naren () pactech net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:38:33 +0800

Dear all,

My $ 0.02

The idea behind two firewalls is because of different technologies, and capabilities, having two firewalls from two different vendors help minimise the possibility of traffic that is not intercepted by one firewall being stopped by the other .. like a mix and match.

And normal practise is to have the first level as a Stateful inspection, to reduce most common forms of attacks - and also reducing the traffic that hits the 2nd level firewall, and the second as an application layer firewall, for stricter checking of traffic passing through.

This is a very basic requirement .. and there is no firewall which can stop all forms of threats (in my limited experience .. atleast. ...)

Naren
----- Original Message ----- From: Ravi Kumar