Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: shell to root through ftp?

From: "xyberpix" <xyberpix () xyberpix com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:40:52 -0000 (GMT)

Hi flrest0rm,

- To stop the directory traversel issue, you could always place all the
users in a chroot environment, this would stop that from happening, I
would never rely on permissions alone for this.

Here's a decent chroot HOWTO, it's on debian but you can look for more if
you want to go this way.

http://www.chains.ch/chroot.php

- Using chroot would stop the www-root access as well.

- There are a few vulnerabilites that could lead to privelege escalation,
but if you box is set up properly, and has all the latest patches, etc
installed, you should be fine. Could I suggest though that for what you
need  Apache and a FTP server, you look into installing OpenBSD instead of
Red Hat, as it has all that you want configured in a default install, and
it's secure. http://www.openbsd.org
I suppose that this depends on what else you Red Hat box is used for though?

One last note, make sure you do your research on what ftp daemon you are
going to be running, as a lot of them have gotten a very bad reputation
with very good reason.

Hope that helps,

xyberpix