Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Web logging

From: Omar Salvador Alcalá Ruiz <oalcala () scitum com mx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:38:15 -0600

Well, with a transparent proxy yo may not suffer at all. An explicit proxy
makes it hard to overcome when the proxy dies, since all your hosts are
pointing to the proxy (here the explicit name), unless you manage many
proxies by HSRP.

With a transparent one, you rely on a Layer 3 switch or a router, where you
redirect all your proxied traffic to your proxy. The client doesnt notice
that, and with a simple ACL you can redirect all the desired traffic to and
from the proxy (here the transparent name). If you have a firewall
restricting all internet access to everything but your proxy, you may want
to have an "panic" disabled rule in case an emergency occurs.

If you use solutions like Blue Coat, you may have failover. HSRP will also
do, if you don't have problems by having two or proxies instead of one.

Hope this help

OA