Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Preventing users from deleting all their files

From: Ramsey Consulting Services <ramseycs () bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:52:03 -0500

Well, if the company is willing to do it, have the users store their (work related) files on the network. On windows NT/2000/XP, having their profile on the network would do, and wouldnt be a terribly difficult or drastic change. Have nightly backups of all the users files, so at the least they would only be able to delete the last days worth of work.

Re: the terminated employees, once the decision to terminate has been made, lock the users account out. One company I worked for had that policy, and to my knowledge no one was ever able to delete files or do any other malicious actions. Mostly because of the way they fired you. It was almost like they were kidnapped, you saw them, then you didnt anymore. They usually came to work in the morning, and around 11 or so they would call them to HR, then escort them off the premises. They never ever let them go back to their desk. At the same time, we would lock their voicemail and network accounts. A little cold perhaps, but Ill admit it was neat and simple.

Dedric Ramsey
Ramsey Consulting Services

Luis Osorio wrote:
Hi,

We´re having some problems with users deleting all their files on their
client computers, specially those that for one reason or other, leave the
company. What alternatives i have to avoid this? backup entire HD? I am open
to suggestions.

Best Regards,

Luis