Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Help with filtered ports

From: miguel.dilaj () pharma novartis com
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:12:53 +0100

Hello Juan,

Filtered means that a firewall is blocking connection attempts to that
port, but it's not telling you if the port is open or closed. You can't
reach it to detect that (not with the scan you did, at least).
You can try more advanced scans, like using fragmentation, a specific
source port for the scan (like 20, 21, 53, 80, etc.), ACK scan, or resort
to hping and/or firewalk.
Cheers,

Miguel Dilaj (Nekromancer)
www.oissg.org