Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Failed admin logins

From: "Handy, Mark (IT)" <Mark.Handy () morganstanley com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:53:05 -0500

Take a look at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c8e0d90-a13b-4
977-a4fc-3e2b67e3748e&displaylang=en

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Quigley [mailto:jquigley () iir-central com]
Sent: 18 November 2004 13:31
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Failed admin logins

Hello,

I have a machine that is trying to log in as the domain administrator
but can't figure out what application/service is doing it. I've checked
all the services that login as administrator (yes, very bad idea to use
admin for services, I inherited this setup) but that does not seem to be
the problem as the services start. I even retyped the password in the
services applet just to be sure. Anyone have any thoughts on how to
track down the source of this rogue login??

Thanks in advance,

Joe

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege,
and use is prohibited.