Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: securing an FTP service

From: Raphaël Rigo ML <ml () twilight-hall net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:18:08 +0100

Davide wrote:

Hi everybody. would you please give me some hints for the followin situation?
In a win-based network, a folder contains some documents
that have to be made available to company employees when
they are not in the HQ but they are in a local branch office
this is currently implemented by a FTP server (win 2kserver); the ftproot is the root dir of the documents.
the server is connected to internet:

(internet)---(router)---(firewall)---(LAN)---(server)

employees access from a remote location office using their win logon credentials (no anonym access is provided). The
local branch office acceses internet with a dinamic IP provided by ISP. What security concerns are rised in this
setting? Should I use a DMZ, using the server to provide FTP services and moving the ftproot folder to another server
INSIDE the DMZ (linked to a shared folder)?
How can I overcome the problem that FTP passwords are transmitted not enchrypted? Should a VPN between HQ provide the
panacea for these problems?

thanks in advance
davide
Hello,
The problem is that (if I understand your network correctly), everybody in the lan is able to sniff the passwords as they are transmitted in plaintext. One of the easiest ways to get more security without changing your network would be to use a TLS/SSL enabled FTP servers, along with clients supporting this. I am not aware of any TLS enabled FTP server for windows licensed under a free license but a good commercial one is Blackmoon Ftp Server. For the clients, still on Windows, I can only recommend FileZilla (http://filezilla.sf.net) which is a really good FTP/SFTP Client licensed under the GPL.

I hope this helps.
Raphaël