Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Semi-Public Wireless Access Setu....

From: Leif Ericksen <leife () dls net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 09:54:15 -0600

If they are going to give access to the guests and they do not want
stray folks on the street to have access.
        1) setup WEP
        2) do not broadcast the SSID
        3) upon arrival the guest is given the WEP key (128 bit)
        4) change the key about once a month.
        5) segment the network and do not allow the WEP device to talk
           to each other.  (Will he require that his system can talk
           to each other?
        6) Alternative to 5 hardwire his system together and block WEP
           from talking to the hardwired network.

YES setup a firewall both as the access point to the net and on the PC.
I would suggest something like IPCOP as the external firewall and a
Linksys for the wireless device.  (the 54G is a nice one)

--
Just my thoughts.
Leif

Hello all.  Our CEO owns a small Bed and Breakfast and wants me to
setup
wireless for him in that facility.  The question is how would you
recommend
setting it up so that anybody that comes in can use in a secure
fashion?
How do airport and coffee houses and the like set theirs up?  I am
pretty
sure the only thing on his little network will be a few home PCs of
his own
which I will make sure run a personal firewall on them to keep those
guests
who may become a bit "curious" out of his equipment.  Other then that
I am
not really sure what to do.  Also since this is a very small business,
cost
is crucial.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad Thomsen, MCSE, CCNA
Network Administrator
Brame Specialty