Security Basics mailing list archives

TCP/IP CRC question

From: Jorge Mendez Bonini <jlmb () cableonda net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:15:19 -0500

I've been reading about the TCP/IP protocol stack (TCP/Ilustrated Vol1 by Richard Stevens) lately and since Ethernet is quite common nowadays almost all link layer examples refer to it (I also checked Douglas Comer Internetworking with TCP/IP vol1). I tried searching RFC but found it very time consuming without good results (maybe I'm not used to it...yet)

The Ethernet Frame contains a field known as FCS which contains a CRC.
Now, my question is:
If the CRC is generated from DATA field among others, What's the point of using checksums on the upper protocolos (IP checksums etc..)?

Thanks for your time.