Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2000 server ports, services to close.

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:32:21 +0200

On 2004-10-13 Brent Clark wrote:
Could someone please advise me on how and what ports do I have to
shutdown for a Microsoft Wintendo 2000 server.

Advice depends on what you need the server to do.

If anyone has a link, URL, doc, etc to advise me, it would be soo
apprecaited

Information on Windows services can be found here [1].

On my linux box I run and port scan and these are what I found (Quite
scary actually, im soo glad that into Linux)

Why? If your server is not supposed to provide services then why do you
have a server anyway?

[...]
PORT     STATE SERVICE
135/tcp  open  msrpc

RPC portmapper

139/tcp  open  netbios-ssn

NetBIOS session service

445/tcp  open  microsoft-ds

DirectSMB

1025/tcp open  NFS-or-IIS

Probably the task scheduler.

1026/tcp open  LSA-or-nterm

Another service mapped by msrpc, maybe MS messenger, maybe something
else.

1433/tcp open  ms-sql-s

MS-SQL server

2301/tcp open  compaqdiag
3052/tcp open  PowerChute

Don't know. According to the port registrations these may be opened by
diagnostics- and UPS control-software. Or something else. Maybe TCPView
[2] and Process Explorer [3] will help to find out.

3372/tcp open  msdtc

Distributed Transaction Coordinator

3389/tcp open  ms-term-serv

Terminal Services

6101/tcp open  VeritasBackupExec
6103/tcp open  RETS-or-BackupExec

Do you run a copy of BackupExec?

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/w2kservices.asp
[2] http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml
[3] http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."