Security Basics mailing list archives

0.0.0.0 Probes

From: "John Smithson" <why1234 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:47:24 -0700

Gurus,

Over the last few days my external NIDS (outside firewall) has picked up huge amount of HTTP Probe (over 50,000/day) with source IP address 0.0.0.0. The destinations are every IP address on my public-DMZ. These are just HTTP Probes. This traffic is being dropped by my firewalls. Internal IDS does not show any of this event. Initially, I thought it was just normal scan, but since it is occurring everyday with that high frequency, I got more curious.

However, I'm trying to understand what / how does the 0.0.0.0 Source mean. Could some of you kindly shed light on this fellow? I have googled it and done normal research.. but still not 100% clear. Is it something that we have mis-configuration? Is it broadcast traffic? Can I user my router to block this? .. all normal questions to defend my assets..

Thank you,

John

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx