Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: breakout of citrix

From: "Seth Hall" <shall () iotaengineering com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:09:59 -0700

This from a reputable source:

"Tell them that they can avoid that problem by using an application like
appsec (res kit tool) or appsense application manager and restrict
explorer.exe from running (it is not required).

This is happening because by entering c:\ word invokes explorer (its
browsing), which can not be run in seamless mode (and will invoke a full
"desktop" when run, even in a non seamless session).  File security is
preserved even when this happens and a properly secured system will not
be impacted in the cases where this happens.  Anyone can browse the root
of c: (or m:) using file -> open, this can be averted by hiding the c
(or m:) drives using the registry (google it).

We run 150 applications for 6000 users, all with explorer.exe
unavailable.  If they need to make an explorer type window available for
file browsing, they can publish IE with the folders pane open
(iexplore.exe -e, I think google it).  This workaround is blessed
(advocated) by Citrix."

Hope that helps.

--Seth