Security Basics mailing list archives

Advice on Fastest NMAP Scan

From: "Mogren, Jack L." <mogren () mayo edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:58:50 -0500

Hi,
  I want to use NMAP to perform a network inventory on our network.  We have over 75,000 networked devices.  The
address ranges include one class B, several class Cs, and the entire private address space.  That's a lot of addresses
to scan and I expect it to take a long time.  I'm looking for advice on what options one might use to create the
fastest NMAP scan.  I'm only interested in finding our each devices OS and open services.  Here's what I've come up
with so far.

nmap -O -T4 -PE -F --osscan_limit -oX /home/security/test.xml -iL /home/security/ip_addresses.txt

  Any comments or suggestions?

Also,  has anyone had luck importing a NMAP-generated XML file into MS Access?  When I do so, it creates the tables,
but the fields are blank.  No data.

Thanks,

Jack Mogren
Mayo Clinic