Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: possible rooted systems

From: kyle <kyle () inetconnection com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:58:25 -0500

Yes, but that doesn't show what the traffic consists of, and due to some of
the software we run that have very dynamic port usage, it'll just let us know
some computers are using said ports. Web site traffic on the other hand we
can fully know without an issue, but for a root kit/trojan/malware/adware to
show on the firewall, it would have to trigger border manager as a invalid or
disallowed site, and if it tripped that then it wouldn't be bogging down our
internet because it would be blocked already before it hit the T1.
Its been determined we need a packet sniffer for the job that works on novell
(we've tried alot already, and the only other option to get a packet sniffer
in the line is to redo the gateways though a nix box we have set aside as a
sniffer) though I'm ofcourse going to make a strong recommendation that we
setup a permanate sniffer in the line for next year.

Kyle