Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive data security

From: <creative () mutemail com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 07:39:49 +0200

Hi Kenneth,

a -  Encase is a professional tool you want only is you're specialized in
Computer Forensic, try to go to www.softpile.com or look for
Smartrecovery.exe on Google. These are quite simple tools, you see it all
depends on how confidential your data is.  For example you have very
sensitive data so you need to completely clean yr computer, but if it's on a
lower level of confidentiality then don't go crazy on your HDD.

If one want to recover data from you, one will only spend a time equivalent
to the value of the data. If you have any doubt about the value of your
content then go for the best level of cleaning.  try
http://www.freebits.co.uk/security.html
or search -  Erase data download free  -  on Google.

b  -  Norton Ghost is perfect for making an image of yr HDD.

c  - If you clean and don't rewrite new data on the disk, then with tools
such as Encase it is possible to find info, but         then again is the
info you own worth the trouble?  That's for you to evaluate, I beleive if I
was a bad guy trying to         spy on you I would really bother if you're a
competitor, a bank manager, etc.  Otherwise I don't see why I should
bother so much.  I hope you see what I'm trying to explain.

d  -  So suggestion is :

    Take a brand new HDD or one completely clean.

    Use Norton Ghost to make an image of your 'old' HDD, check the integrity
on an other computer, if it is ok then         you can wipe your 'old' HDD.

    Use Smartrecovery or similar tool on 'old' HDD to try to recover data,
if you can, then you will have to keep on         cleaning it and reformat
it until you are satisfied.

Hope that will answer yr questions,

Creative