Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IDS taps

From: "Clarke, Tyronne (Contractor)" <Tyronne.Clarke () dcma mil>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:14:07 -0400

My 2cts

Network TAPS are sweet because:
* Doesn't need a IP/Mac so the IDS or Sniffer is hidden to the network and better yet hackers
* Taps do not require configuration and are generally passive and fault tolerant.
* Taps operate on the signal level and do not recognize packets, sending faithful copies of actual packets, legal and
otherwise.
* Taps provide dependable and complete data streams to the Intrusion Detection System. Security Engineers depend on
complete data streams to recognize intruder patterns.Most Span/mirror hub combos only show you half of the conversation
and drop critical packets
* Since Taps are inline they are not limited to the bandwidth of the Span port or switch

Also see link http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/taps.htm

Datacom System's SINGLEstream(tm) 2000 is pretty sweet because you do not need the 2 nics and better yet you can hang 2
full-duplex devices off of it. http://www.datacomsystems.com/datacom/prod/taps/eth/ss-2000.asp

Intrusion has a TAP roughly about the size of a pack of smokes http://www.intrusion.com/products/taps.asp