Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: Layer 2 Switches]

From: peyo <peyo () netbg com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:29:35 +0300

Hi!

I suggest you to visit this link:
http://www.digitalsol.net/tinyip.htm

I have some pieces from this module
and use them for similar function.

I'm not sure, but the price is really low  per module (see the
pricelist..maybe 20-22 USD), and
attached to 8 port switch with RTL chipset you receive a really good
manageable switch with port-based and 802.1q. BTW on this site you can find
free software for tinyIP and switch control(via snmp) or of course you can
write your own.

The control module can be protected too via access MACs, skip broadcast
option, 802.1q tag etc. Once you configure the switch, you can simply remove
the control module(tinyIP) or can leave it connected(and have permanent
online control).

Another suitable (and very useful for me:) ) function is, that tinyIP can
restart the switch, if he become unreachable (echo reply loss).

I hope, this can help.

Regards:
Peyo