Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Win NT Permission question ?

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:24:29 -0400

There are about 12 different things that create a user's effective
permissions, including OS version, file system subsystem type, NTFS
permissions (inherited and explicit), folder inheritance status, share
permissions (if accessing over a network), group membership (both
explicit and built-in), EFS, user privileges, etc, so without complete
information I can only give you the text book answer for the scenario
you proposed.

Also, to really understand the effects of permissions you need to tell
me what Special permissions each user has, that makes up Full Control,
RX, etc.  Oftentimes you might think that a person has certain
permissions, only to find out with further investigation that the
underlying Special permissions (the 13 special permissions make up the
other higher level permissions that you see) actually gives something
slightly different.  For instance, often I'll give only Read
permissions, only to find out that the lower level Special permissions
defaulted to Read and Execute, which is not what I intended.  So, if you
are confused about a particular permissions outcome, investigate the
Special permissions.

But given the scenario you proposed below it might be possible for User2
to delete the Info folder and its contents because of a Special
permission called Delete subfiles and folders.  This permissions if
given to a user (i.e. User2 probably has because of the Full Control
permission) would allow them to delete child file and folder objects.

The best permissions are to give only the explicit permissions needed by
someone at a particular level and turn off inheritance on that folder.
Enable and use EFS if your Windows versions supports it.

And maybe you don't want to be so quick to criticize your admin until
you've walked in their shoes.  The job is harder than it looks and we
all suck at something sometime.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Computer Security
Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (NT/2000/2003/MVP), CNE (3/4), A+
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by
O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode
*Author of upcoming Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
****