Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Detecting new Windows .jpeg exploit

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:16:31 -0400

The problem is slightly more complex than that.   MBSA certainly won't
tell the whole truth.  It will tell whether you have the patch applied,
but not whether the vulnerability is closed...because many people are
reporting multiple vulnerable copies of the GDI executable.  The patch
only updates the Windows system version, not every version existing on a
computer.  If an application is installed that looks for and uses an
older version, then you can still be vulnerable.

The scanning or scripting tool would have to do a scan of all files, and
find any vulnerable copies of the executable.  It can be done, not too
hard, and that is what he was looking for.