Security Basics mailing list archives

[RE] CIDR Explanation

From: Lonely Wolf <thelonelywolf () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:01:10 +0200

but I don't want to use it right now due
to my lack of knowledge which can cause security issues

Hi,
CIDR is not so strange and difficult, have a look to these link and
i'm sure u'll setting up your snort box without problem.

http://compnetworking.about.com/library/weekly/aa021003a.htm
"
What is CIDR?

CIDR stands for Classless Inter-Domain Routing. CIDR was developed in
the 1990s as a standard scheme for routing IP addresses...CIDR allows
a more flexible way to associate groups of IP addresses without
relying on the original class system....

CIDR Notation

CIDR specifies an IP address range by the combination of an IP address
and its associated network mask. CIDR notation uses the following
format -
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/n
where n is the number of (leftmost) '1' bits in the mask. For example,
192.168.12.0/23
applies the network mask 255.255.254.0 to the 192.168 network,
starting at 192.168.12.0. This notation represents the address range
192.168.12.0 - 192.168.13.255. Compared to traditional class-based
networking, 192.168.12.0/23 represents an aggregation of the two Class
C networks 192.168.12.0 and 192.168.13.0 each using the default
network mask 255.255.255.0. ...."

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1519.html
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1817.html

http://public.pacbell.net/dedicated/cidr.html
"What Is CIDR?
CIDR is a new addressing scheme for the Internet which allows for more
efficient allocation of IP addresses than the old Class A, B, and C
address scheme...."

http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/Course/Subnet/
http://www.ralphb.net/IPSubnet/cidr.html

i hope this could help you

Greetings From Italy

.::.Lonely Wolf.::.

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html