Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Where does ICF store it`s ACL ?

From: Strcpy <elite_netbios () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:56:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi again

thnx for the mentioned document on SP2
but I`m talking aboust SP1 .
not decided to upgrade to SP2 yet ;)

and about choosing another FW .
that`s not a problem , moveing to another
Firewall like ZoneAlarm or anything esle...
it`s as easy as some clicks to run my setup.exe
but I should find out baout this behave if ICF.
some where in registery I located some keys mentioned
to ACL`s added to ICF , but changing/removeing them
changed nothing .
seems it`s not with registry or if it is , it`s
encoded/encrypted ...

regards
--- Paul Kurczaba <paul () myipis com> wrote:

This is the same problem that happened to me on my
Microsoft MN-500 wireless
router. It was opening up ports left and right. I
had to manually delete the
ACL daily. I finally got sick of doing so, and
decided to purchace a Netgear
wireless router. Back to ICF... I really don't know
where the ICF ACL is
stored. If I were you, I would disable ICF, and
install ZoneLabs' ZoneAlarm.
It has more features than ICF, as has a better
security history than
Microsoft products. If you don't want to go with
ZoneAlarm, my second choice
would be Kerio Personal Firewall.

-Paul