Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Steps to avoid Social Engineering

From: John Blackley <jblackley () sysmatrix net>
Date: 20 Apr 2005 01:51:13 -0000

I sympathise with your problem and the first piece of advice I have for you is this: You may be able to reduce the risk
and you may not be able to entirely eliminate it. However, beware of the risk of making your controls so convoluted
that you disappear up your own environment.

Some thoughts on controls: A single point of contact at the third-party company begins to reduce the risk of
impersonation - only receive calls from an authorised person at the third-party (allowing a backup, of course, for when
he/she isn't available to make the call).

When someone calls from the third-party, call them back at the third-party's switchboard and ask to be connected to
them.

If you have a written contract with the third-party and that contract has some kind of identifier on it (contract or PO
number), ask for that.

You can go on from here yourself, I'm sure. The key here is simple, easily-established rules that give you some
assurance that you are talking to the person you think you're talking to.

Good Luck

John A Blackley