Security Basics mailing list archives

International Computer/Security Policies

From: Alexander Bolante <alexander.bolante () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:25:34 -0700

Hi, I will be traveling to the following international sites this year
on business:

1. United Kingdom (London/Camberley)
2. The Netherlands (Amsterdam/Haarlem)
3. China (Shanghai)
4. Australia (Perth)

What should I be aware of in terms of international computer security
policies for each country? What should I know regarding each country's
network/Internet use policies?

These are very broad, open-ended questions, so I'm open to any and all
suggestions/recommendations/tips. My goal is to be well-prepared and
aware of any gotchas before doing any type of computer work overseas.

I'd appreciate any information you can provide...

e.g. Does the Netherlands have restrictions on where I can use my
machine, access the Internet, etc.?

e.g. I heard when traveling to China, when your machine goes thru
airport scanners, they care more about the data on the machine; hence
to be safe, it's better to Fedex your machine to the local office
where you'd be working.

Thanks!
--
"I know nothing" -- Alexander.Bolante () gmail com