Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VoIP security

From: "Champ Clark [Vistech]" <champ () bundy vistech net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:00:04 -0400

credit card number over the phone using her social and other sensitive
information.  She has a VoIP router from her ISP.  The question: Are
the VoIP packets encrypted as they go across the wire?   Or can
someone sniffing in the right place capture all of that sensitive VoIP

        Typically,  no.  If it uses standard SIP,  H.323 or IAX2 then
it's not encrypted.  This would be a good thing to ask your VoIP
vender.  It is possible to secure these protocols.   I wrote a
"Asterisk" (http://www.asterisk.org) article about this.   It can be
found at http://www.softwink.com/papers.html .  This is sorta of
outside the scope of what your asking.

--

Champ Clark III    |   Vistech Communications,Inc.   |    850-942-0388 x 101
                         http://www.vistech.net

GPG Key ID: 58A2A58F
Key fingerprint = 7734 2A1C 007D 581E BDF7  6AD5 0F1F 655F 58A2 A58F
If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.