Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: unadministered open ports

From: Peter Odigie <petermariano () ncema gov ng>
Date: 11 Aug 2005 17:44:33 +0100

What process spawned the ports?.

Take for example the ports below from a workstation
The ports that are "filtered"  are not supposed to be there, maybe the
user is/has done something wrong.

Do I have to put a filter on the my gateway?  but which ports do I
filter?

I guess I will finally have to go each of the computers and remove the
offending process (maybe a malware) but is there a way to do this
remotely?

Interesting ports on
(The 1653 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT     STATE    SERVICE
116/tcp  filtered ansanotify
135/tcp  open     msrpc
139/tcp  open     netbios-ssn