Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux hardening

From: security () surefoot com
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:21:02 -0600

On Saturday 20 August 2005 09:00, AragonX <Ar> wrote:
[...some good stuff deleted...]
The server performs the following tasks:

   Web (Squirrelmail, eGroupWare, myPhpAdmin and others) and email serving
to the internet.
   File, print and DHCP serving to my local network.

Try and lock down any web app you have with regular apache auth - it's often
more secure than the built-in authentication schemes offered by these apps.

I'm looking for more preventative measures.  It appears that LIDS and
mod_security are the only ones in that role now.  Should I jail apache?
Would that give me any benefits over what LIDS provides?

You might want to look at libsafe too. It does work well and is one more
roadblock for hackers.

Generally, how much you do depends on your goals. Jailing services is a good
idea, but again it depends on how far you want to go. An external firewall
could also help quite a bit by providing an additional layer of security, and
if set up that way it can also alert you of unusual activity. Same goes for
an IDS somewhere on your network of course.