Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: Tandem Wipe Tool

From: Dolosus Phantom <dolosus.phantom () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:13:52 -0400

John,
     The U.S DoD standard is seven passes of writing 1's and 0's
usually by writing all 1's, then all 0's, followed by just seemingly
random data.  That should be sufficient for making sure no one can
retrieve it using normal means.  I say normal means because it is
still possible to use either Magnetic Force Microscopy (MFM) or
Magnetic Force Scanning Tunneling Microscopy(STM).  There is an
article that can be found at
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html that covers
it.  Basically a device that is extremely sensitive to magnetic fields
is ran over the disk thus reading the residual magnetic fields left by
the 1's and 0's even if they have been over written.  The Scanning
Probe Microscopy (SPM) system then uses that dat ato create a drive
image.  Keep in mind that this is usually only done by certain
government agencies, but there are thousands of SPM's out there and a
reasonably capable SPM can be built for a little over a $1,000.  So if
you are really paranoid then just destroy the drive using one of the
well known mean, otherwise seven passes should be good.

Dolosus Phantom

                     ``...  `.
                          `````.