Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Limewire/P2P apps Upload Only

From: nick <nick () mobilia it>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 15:11:55 +0100

Sam Munro wrote:
Hi List,

Is there a way I can block the likes of limewire uploading (without
blocking d/l) at a network level preferably via a filter rule on the
router or server s/w in a home network environment.

The problem I have is ppl on the network forget to close limewire and
leave their machines on and of course this gobbles up all the
bandwidth. I have successfully implemented a rule to block limewire
altogether at the router but this does not go down to well with my
users!

Many thanks,

Sam

Why not get a bandwidth/QoS control device (you can even build one with a linux box if you so desire) and limit the amount of upload bandwidth they can use? There are small programs that can be installed in linux firewalls, there are also dedicated devices to do this..

The options only depend on what you're most comfortable with.

The nice thing about QoS controls is that you can say, other traffic gets priority, but if there is no other traffic, limewire can use all available bandwidth.