Security Basics mailing list archives

RES: sha-1 cryptography

From: "Rodrigo Fernandez" <RodrigoFernandez () cetip com br>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:48:01 -0200

Hi,

This are my 2cents, correct me if I'm wrong, please...

SHA-1 is not a criptographic algorithm, it's a hash algorithm, and it is known that SHA-1 just as all others SHA
algorithms have a finite number os possibilities for a hash code. It means that two objects could generate the same
hash code.

The person who "broke" it, simply found two completely different objects with the same hash. Nowadays, there are
stronger SHA's algorithms, such as SHA-512, with 512 bits combination, which is much more difficult to find hash in
common. Remeber, they're still finite...

I could not tell you the opinion of specialysts, but I can sure tell you that you should always use the harder
algorithm you can!

[]s