Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISSP without experience

From: "Dante Mercurio" <Dante () webcti com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:19:43 -0500

The same could apply to just about any certification and/or degree. Can
someone lie on their CISSP application, pass the test, and receive a
CISSP certification? Yes. Does that break the ethical rules regarding a
CISSP? Yes. A potential employer looking for someone with a CISSP should
be educated enough in their needs to understand someone with only a year
or two would not be able to do the job anyway irregardless of a single
test passed for a certification.

Not sure what the job market is where you are, but near D.C., most jobs
requiring a CISSP also require a 4 year degree and a number of years
experience in the industry. While the CISSP is a good certification, it
shouldn't be a license into a position. There are a lot of other
mitigating factors.

I'd question any job that just hires based on a CISSP alone anyway.

M. Dante Mercurio, CISSP, CWNA, SCSP
Consulting Group Manager
Continental Technologies, Inc.
"We Connect and Protect Your Network"

10540 York Road, Hunt Valley MD  20131
11 East Front Street, Shiremanstown PA  17011

dante () webcti com
1-800-606-6060
410-666-3307 (Fax)
443-677-5192 (Cell)