Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: cross plattform encryption

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:07:52 +0200 (IST)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Boris Fabbro wrote:
i'm a linux user using encryption with mounting over a
loopback-device for file-containers and whole partitions. but i want
access (rw) my encrypted data also, when i boot windows (xp). if
there are any free implentation for this task for windows
are there (free) cross plattform solutions at all?

Cryptoloop HOWTO by Ralf Holzer (last updated: 2004'01'15):

There are other tools which allow you to create an encrypted file
system. BestCrypt is a commercial product from Jetico. It allows you
to create encrypted containers and has a large choice of ciphers. It
also offers some nifty features such as hidden containers. It is
available for Windows and Linux, which makes it suitable for
interchanging encrypted containers between Windows and Linux.
BestCrypt now compiles on 2.6 kernels as well. Cryptoloop can also
create containers that can be moved around, by creating the encrypted
file system within a file as described below. I don't know of a way to
access the Cryptoloop'encrypted files from other operating systems
such as Windows. In this case, BestCrypt may be your only choice.

--
Regards,
ASK