Security Basics mailing list archives

Re WinXP Login Logs

From: "Robert McIntyre" <robert.mcintyre () earthmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:45:27 -0800

On Thursday Jan 5 Bruno Souto wrote:

Suddenly here in my work, some PCs are being turned on by "ghosts"
during night/clean periods and they are being used! How can I know the
last person who logged in? Are there some kind of login logs in win
xp?

Regards

Bruno Souto

Make sure you enable security auditing on your XP computers.  You want to
turn on "Audit account logon events" This can be done through group policies
if you are in an AD domain.  If not go to each computers Local Security
Policy and turn on auditing for success and failure.

Then look in each computers Security Event Log to see who is logging on at
night.

What a long strange trip this will be