Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Apache attacks

From: bernie () e-mich com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:15:03 -0500

Kenny,

Another thing you might want to look at it Dshield.org, this is a upadted dailt
list of subnets around the world that are know for hack attempts and other
types of un-ethical network activity.

The link I sent you earlier to www.rfxnetworks.com has APF the Advanced
Protection Firewall in the projects link.  This firewall can be set up to
update this list every day and block those networks from your network.  It also
has a module for BFD Brute Force Detection that will block IP's or subnets that
try to brute force you SSH and FTP.  This firewall is based on IPtables, which
I would bcome real familiar with if you want to protect your network, if you
find APF to be to daunting at first try KISS firewall
http://www.geocities.com/steve93138/ or Firestarter
http://www.fs-security.com/.  Some people prefer Firestarter as it works with a
GUI and requires GTK.

These will be great tools in trying to keep the script kiddies out and the other
more serious intrusions.  But like any firewal they are never 100% and it takes
allot of tools to keep your network safe.  Also remember security is a trade of
between ease of use and protection.

Just my 2 cents

B.Johnson

Quoting Bernie Johnson <bernie () e-mich com>:

Kenny,

Look at www.rfxnetworks.com and get APF, BFD and look at the other
scripts there.  This should od what you want and need.

B. Johnson