Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RPC over HTTP security

From: Shawn Wall <sjwall () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:09:51 -0700

Comments inline

-----Original Message-----
From: James McGee [mailto:james () infosec co im]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 12:41 PM
To: Shawn Wall; Eric McCarty; Kevin Doheny; sf_mail_sbm () yahoo com;
security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: RPC over HTTP security

Yes, probably trillions of dollars are transacted via SSL.  But, SSL, does
not offer the server much security, if anything it reduces it for the server
end.

I agree that SSL does squat for sever security, never said it did.

SSL encrypts traffic between client/server or server/server.  The trouble
is, you can't then see what's in the traffic, with your average IDS, unless
you offload the encryption to an SSL terminator.

This requires a more advanced configuration, as you eluded to.

SSL was setup to encrypt sensitive data from the client, and to offer
re-assurance to the end-user (read client).

Stating the obvious.

I had a project manager compare SSL to PKI, which is not a comparison.
SSL costs <$100 PKI probably >$10000.  Don't that tell you something.

This tells me that PKI is more expensive to deploy that SSL. Security is
often a trade off against cost. For email, PKI may be too expensive for most
SMB.

In a banking type application, the data that is protected is primarily the
user data, so it increases user confidence.  But it don't do much for the
bank's servers......

Again, we all know the sever is not protected.

Cheers

James