Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: System Hacked from MySQL Insecurities

From: Kalpin Erlangga Silaen <kalpin () solonet co id>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:41:27 +0700

Dear Bernie,

I am allowing port 3306 accessed from the outside world but I remove account which have NULL password. Actually I don't let mysql root password as default, but he can guess it (weak password). In my mind now is how can he get root shell from MySQL ? I was read mysql manual and there is possible to create file from OUTPUT SELECT and put any shellcode at there, but still own by mysql not root (this means is you can't set as setuid to root).

Or... I missing something ?

bernie () e-mich com wrote:

Yes it is definately possible and easy to exploit MySQL.  Are you allowing port
3306 to accept connections from the outside world?

Also did you set a root password for root, as the deafult install does not?

Are you runing a firewall, and if you are are you only allowing access to port
3306 from certain IP's or subnets.

These are all questions that you should know the answer too or you sahould not
be running a public database server.  If you cannot answer these questions and
need some help let me know, I will try to help if I can.

B. Johnson

Quoting Kalpin Erlangga Silaen <kalpin () solonet co id>:

Dear all,

several days ago, someone hacked my test box using the latest FreeBSD.
He explained that he rooted my box because he knows my root mysql
password. Is it possible to hack system via MySQL ? or he just tricked
me and try hide his way ? I am using MySQL 4.0.18 for FreeBSD.
My details system:

OS: FreeBSD 5.1
MySQL version: 4.0.18
Port : 3306

I opened port 3306 from Internet, so people can use this if they have
access/username to MySQL.

Thank you.

--
---