Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Newbie Hacker Tools

From: Steve Sanders <sceee1991 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:37:41 -0600

Ed,

I agree with B. Johnson, Nessus is certainly the tool of choice as far
as I am concerned.  It is amazing what it can do in conjunction with
Nmap.

As far as Nessus is concerned, it can be free, it is your choice.
Using the free version, you will have no official technical support,
although there are typically many people who are willing to help
through various newsgroups.  Unless I am mistaken, to use Nessus as
you have described, the only requirement is that you inform the
creators of Nessus that you are using the product to scan third party
networks.

Steve

I'm really confused about what tools I need in my "toolkit" for
Windows-related audits.  I've heard a lot about Nessus as a freeware program
but am confused when I go on the nessus.org site and see that it might not
be free.  Other programs I've heard of include nmap, SAINT, Newt.