Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Related Tools

From: "Matthew MacAulay" <matthew.macaulay () cobweb co uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:41:49 +0100

Hello,

It is defiantly worth checking out JFFNMS.

www.jffnms.com.

Open source, SNMP, written in PHP uses RRDtool to map Network Interface,
works on M$ and Linux.

It can Auto discover networks and nodes automatically. It can also
collect router and switch config's and store them centrally, allowing
you to have your config's backup automatically when they are changed.

I have been using is for about 18 months, I monitor and graph 2533
interfaces Using a PIII on RH7 256MB RAM.

Info from the main site front page.

SNIP
JFFNMS is a Network Management and Monitoring System designed to monitor
a IP SNMP / Syslog / Tacacs+ Network. It can be used to monitor any
standards compilant SNMP device, Server, Router, TCP port or anything
you want, if you write a custom poller, we also provide some Cisco
focused features.

Features.
Written in PHP (Works on Linux, FreeBSD and Win2K/XP)
Status Map, gives you a quick look of your network
Events Console, shows all kinds of events in the same time-ordered
display
Performance Graphs for everything, Interface Traffic, Errors, CPU Usage,
etc.
Database Backend (MySQL or PostgreSQL)
Integrated Syslog Logging and Tacacs+ Authentication and Accounting
Free, licensed under the GPL
SNIP

As for writing configs for multiple switch vendors I do not know of one
tool to do all of those tasks. The tool provided to create Cisco running
config's is OK.

Regards,

Mat MacAulay.