Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Biometrics

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:43:30 +0200

On 2005-07-12 Vinsik, Steven C wrote:
Good point in bringing up potential security issues with biometrics.
Biometrics are certainly not a cure all for security, but should be
considered as another layer in a layered security approach. I also
agree that a compromised biometric presents a serious problem, but if
multi-factor authentication is employed, then a single point of
compromised authentication does not allow access.

I brought this up mainly because the OP was talking about password
elimination.

The only time I would recommend using a biometric as the sole
authentication mechanism would be in a low security/ low risk
situation where a compromise would have a minimal impact.

Even then I would rule out fingerprint systems. Fingerprints are great
for police work (because people tend to leave them around), but they are
not very good for authentication purposes (for the very same reason).

While it is true that fingerprints can be acquired and possibly
copied, I would consider it far more difficult for an outsider to
acquire a persons' fingerprint and successfully recreate it to log
into a system remotely.  An insider may have an easier time of
acquiring the latent fingerprint from a co-worker, but the task of
re-creating this image into a workable fake finger is difficult.

No. In fact it's relatively easy. Please read the article about forging
fingerprints I mentioned in my previous mail. It describes *one* way of
doing that (there are several others).

[...]
Many of the fingerprint readers of today, which are of any quality,
have built in mechanisms to detect when a fake finger is placed on the
fingerprint reader platen.  While this is certainly not foolproof and
there are always exceptions to the rule, I would submit that a
fingerprint is in general going to be more secure than a password.

Most definitely not. There are *far* too many ways to trick fingerprint
readers into accepting a forged fingerprint. Not to mention FAR and FRR.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."