Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CompTIA security+ versus SANS boot camp security essentials...

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:31:34 +1000

Do CompTIA Security+ if you have collected everything else and just
collect certifications for the sake of it.

SANS (any) are far more valuable. This is especially true if you take
the time and make the effort to be gold certified

I collect them all - Sans bootcamp is general and is a good intro. They
have the option of GCWN later which focuses on Windows specifically.

As a plug for the IEEE... I am a member of the IEEE and have been for a
number of years. The IEEE offers several "free" (membership is not free
- but is less than the course will cost on its own) courses. Online
training courses for CompTIA Security+ and CompTIA Network+ are both
offered by the IEEE for all members of the computer group (see
http://www.computer.org).

SANs has the much better career path and training. Have a look at the
GIAC site (http://www.giac.org). Gold certification with SANS (later
after the bootcamp) is very highly valued.

The other certifications you should look at are -
        CISSP (http://www.isc2.org)
        CISM    (http://www.isaca.org)

Craig