Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Changing the mac address on Windows 2000 and XP

From: ChayoteMu <chayotemu () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:49:38 -0700

There are a number of software programs that will change the MAC
address, other than that you'd need to actually crack into the chip
and change it there (I THINK they are EEPROM but not sure), but the
software version is easier.

To detect it depends on the setup. When the MAC changes the machine it
would have to start responding to ARP broadcasts or sending it's own
so if you could find a way to determine if that's suspect you could
tell. Timing would be one thing, if the ARP requests aren't expected
and are just sent out there's a chance it's a new PC otherwise it
could be a changed MAC. I'd expect you can setup sniffers to look at
and store basic ARP tables and see if the new MAC starts talking and
the old one stops doing so. To get that to work you'd probably need
the sniffer to check the old MAC and see if it's still running, if not
and the new MAC is brand new it's a good assumption the old PC changed
the MAC. To determine for certain you'd need to be able to cut down
where the new MAC is from and see if the responses are coming from the
same basic wire, otherwise you might just happen to catch a new PC
getting on the network. The only downside is to do that you'd need to
send out more traffic each time a new MAC is advertised. Other than
that I'd expect you'd need a HIPS of some sort that either prevents
such changes or sends an alert when it detects it.

Just a side-note, I'm pretty confident I know what I'm talking about
here but think I may be wrong. If so let me know where I'm wrong.