Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Masters program for Information Security?

From: ltxtreme () gmail com
Date: 22 Jun 2005 23:13:59 -0000

University of Maryland University College http://www.umuc.edu/grad/csmn/csmn_home.shtml

has a Masters of Science degree in Computer Systems Management.  The degree has several specialty tracks and one of
them is Information Assurance (aka. Comp Sec).

I am currently enrolled and have completed 3/4 of the classes.  It has a good split between management (strategic
management, finance, Process management) and Computer Security classes (Computer Forensics, Intrusion Detection,
Cryptography, Security Policy, Legal issues, etc.)

The Security classes tend to lean towards the moderately technical, but I haven't had a class yet that involves actual
implementation (ie. programming a router, firewall, ID, etc.)  These classes focus on educating what they are, how they
work together in an environment and how to make an overall secure environment based on the requirements.

I have seen a great number of Department of Defense and Government agency blokes in the program.  I think UMUC has a
partnership with DoD and the US Govt.

Take a look, give them a call.  Maybe it is what you are looking for, maybe not.