Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: New Virus?

From: cc <cc () belfordhk com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:05:33 +0800

Hamish Stanaway sighed and wrote::
Hey there everyone,

I recieved a mysterious email this morning at 1728 GMT which had headers
as follows:

Regardless of it being a virus, there are a few issues I have
with this email, least of all having a zip attachment.

1) Header's forged.  (afaik, david.org <> 217.125.252.60)

2) Zip Attachment with an unknown EXE file. (This has got to
   ring some alarm bells already.)

3) Your girlfriend uncompressing the ZIP file and running
  the program.  Not exactly the smartest thing to do, especially
  in this age of Nimdas, Sobigs, etc.

 Unless you are waiting for a zip file from someone, particularly
this "hamish1 () voyager co nz" (doubtful, but still possible), then
I suggest you delete the email and forget about it.  With the
proper tools, you'd probably be able to disect the EXE file.
AFAIK, it's one of these Netsky variants.  (No, don't send it
to me.  :))

Of course, that's just my $0.02.  Perhaps someone else with
more experience have something to say.

Edmund